11 September, 2010

September: Christina Henri's 'Roses from the Heart' project

Madeleine told us about a project called 'Roses from the Heart' by a Tasmanian artist, Christina Henri. Christina's project is in honour of women convicts from Ireland, England, Scotland and Wales who were sent to Australia between 1788 and 1853 as slaves. Christina hopes to collect hand-made calico bonnets from stitchers all over the world which will be exhibited world-wide as an art installation. For more information on Christina's work and how you can get involved in the project see http://www.christinahenri.com.au/ where you can download the pattern. If you decide to get involved and would like to receive a woman's name to embroider on your bonnet, contact Madeleine Jordan by phone or email.



2 comments:

  1. I contacted Madeleine and got some names of Cork women....so I'm off to make some bonnets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madeleine,

    Thank you so much for telling your members about my Memorial to ALL women sentenced to transportation as convicts to Australia. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

    I wasn't able to visit Galway on my recent trip to Ireland but I would certainly like to when I return in Aug/Sept 2011.

    Please keep in touch.

    If you look at my Travel Blog http://rosesfromtheheart.tumblr.com/ you will see that I have just reached 20,000 bonnets - only 5,566 more to go!

    cjhenri@iinet.net.au

    ReplyDelete