At the April meeting of the Western Branch of the IPS, we will be hosting a workshop on needle turn applique. If you are planning to attend the workshop, please review the supplies list below and bring everything you will need with you:
Fabric (100% cotton, avoid stiff or loosely woven cotton)
- Background fabric - 21 inches by 22 inches, lightly colored solid or tone on tone. If choosing a print fabric, make sure the background fabric does not overwhelm the applique fabric.
- Stems - green fabric, 3 strips cut on the bias at 1.25 inches wide and 8 inches long.
- Flowers - prints of your choice
- Embroidery or small fabric scissors. Tips must be pointed and not round.
- Needles - size 10 or 11 mm or straw needles are best, but sharps will work as well.
- Thread - 100% cotton is best, matching the thread as closely to the color of the stems and flowers and not the background.
- Paper scissors
- Basting thread
- Light and dark marking pencils for the fabric (or lead pencil for light fabric)
- Pencil sharpener
- Needle threader
- Several wooden toothpicks
- Small fabric pins
- Small cutting mat
- Iron and ironing cloth
- 12 inch ruler
- Background should be pre-cut
- Stems: fold bias strip, right sides out (wrong sides of fabric together on the inside) in equal thirds. Strips should be approximately 1/2 inch wide. Baste along the middle of the strip (not the edges) and press.