Working from Sketch or Photo to Quilt.
- Photo / design to be A3 size, (take a suitable photo, picture or sketch and increase the size on the photocopier to A3 size)
- A few sheets of tracing paper.
- A sheet of A3 graph paper and an A1 sheet of graph paper. (you can always glue several sheets of A3 together to form the size of the quilt you want to make or you can use a large sheet of dressmakers squared paper)
- 1 coloured pencil
- A sheet or two of CLEAR template plastic. Can be had in Creative Grids UK. (you will eventually need to make a template for each piece and as you will be cutting the plastic if you want to complete the project you may need more than just one or two sheets) You could of course cut up your design cartoon
- Scissors to cut templates (I have found a small narrow pointed one the best)
- A bucket of patience.
This is a simple process and everyone can do it. You just need to be patient and allow yourself time to do it. This process will suit both pieced and appliquéd work. We’ll talk about fabrics etc at the workshop.
Loretta O’Brien 2011.