Western Branch visit to the Mid-Western Branch on Friday 11th February.
Sandlin is organising a group of us to travel to Limerick to attend the Mid-Western Branch meeting. We have been invited to come and bring along some work to 'show and tell'. If you are interested in taking part in this trip contact Sandlin as soon as possible.
Limerick Quilt Retreat at the Strand Hotel in February
Limerick Quilt Retreat for all IPS members from Friday 18th to Sunday 2oth February.
See the previous post on this blog for details http://westernips.blogspot.com/2010/12/limerick-quilt-retreat-for-ips-members.html and book via the reservations number 061-421890. There is also information on page 7 of the current Winter IPS Newsletter. If you are going, also let our committee know by contacting Joan, so that Western Branch members can travel together if desired.
Western Branch exhibition at Galway City Museum April 2011.
Our branch exhibition will take place on the last 2 weeks in April at the Galway City Museum. The theme is the same as the National Exhibition 'Branching Out' so we would love to see quilts related to environmental, plant or nature-based themes. But all quilts made since our last exhibition in 2010 are welcome. All quilts must be ready for the meeting on 9th April 2011. If you are interested in being part of the 'sub-committee' which will organise this exhibition, please contact Lynn (chairperson) as soon as possible.
National Exhibition 'Branching Out' at Botanic Gardens from 30th Jun to 2nd Aug
As 2011 is the 30th Anniversary of the IPS and also Year of Craft, this promises to be a special celebration exhibition. A judging committee (appointed by the Executive) will come to Galway during our branch exhibition to select suitable quilts to go on to the National Exhibition at the Botanic Gardens.
'Branching Out' Fabric Postcard Exhibition
As part of the special celebrations for the 30th anniversary the National Exhibition will also include a fabric postcard challenge.
- Postcards must be on the theme of 'Branching Out' (horitcultural, flora, botanical or environmental theme).
- Standard 4 x 6 inch postcard size only.
- Must be fabric based.
- Must be sent through the post (stamped and posted/not in an envelope).
- Must be sent to Irish Patchwork Society, PO Box 45, Blackrock, Dublin, Ireland.
- Postcards are non-returnable and will be raffled/auctioned at the Knitting & Stitching Show 2011. Proceeds will go to Breast Cancer Ireland.
- For instructions on how to make a postcard see page 10 of the current Winter IPS Newsletter or see the IPS blog at http://irishpatchwork.blogspot.com/2010/12/how-to-make-fabric-postcards.html
Heritage Quilt to be completed for April 2011.
Veronika is coordinating efforts to complete the Heritage Quilt as we hope to present it to the Museum at our April exhibition. Help is needed to complete the following tasks:
- mark the final section of quilting in the borders (celtic cable, date and claddagh ring)
- quilt the final section of the border
- bind the quilt
- label the quilt
If you are available to help, contact Veronika as soon as possible.Western Branch Challenge
The committee has proposed that the Western Trophy Challenge will take place at our AGM meeting in May. To tie in with 2011 Year of Craft, Members are invited to make an A4 sized piece which can use any materials and any technique (including other crafts) but it must include stitching. Time to let your imagination go! Bring your piece to the May meeting.
For further information about our upcoming meetings and events see our Calendar of Events in the right-hand column of this blog!